Sunday, April 03, 2005

Gardening et al

My mother-in-law loved gardening. Her house looked like a picture postcard.

Every weekend my husband comes home, I get the distinct impression he's disappointed I haven't planted any flowers. The tulips are coming up, so that's a start, but I do have to get moving. We need to add some more color to the landscape. I, however, like pockets of color here and there, while he'll want every inch covered -- like his mother did it. Uh, I don't think so, pal.

The backyard is going to be a lot of work. True to builders' form, our builder bulldozed the lot and left a nice hill along the back side of our lot. It's all dirt (correction, red clay). Oh, he was kind enough to plant two trees on one side and cover the whole area with pine straw, but there is a whole lot of nothin'. We planted two more trees last fall, but we will have to plant ground cover, bushes and perennials all along there. We'll have to do it in stages, though. Otherwise, it will be too overwhelming.

Does anyone out there really ENJOY doing this stuff ?!?

... I'll chalk it up to "the hard work will pay off" -what else can I do? One thing is certain: don't expect it look like my MIL's did -- cause that just ain't gonna happen!

HAPPY SPRING EVERYONE.

3 Comments:

At April 03, 2005 3:52 PM, Blogger BikeMom said...

Good for you! I hate gardening. I have even gotten rid of most of the indoor plants and switched to the fake things... no watering , no bugs.... ahhhhhhh

Happy Spring!

 
At April 03, 2005 5:28 PM, Blogger Bobbi said...

The neighbors kind of shamed me into it, too ... they all planted their flowers last weekend! I'll throw a few things out there and hope they take! LOL

And, I won't do this myself. I'm waiting till he's home and he'll be right there by my side ... digging up this nasty red clay and sweating in the hot southern sun!

 
At April 05, 2005 10:12 PM, Blogger Christopher said...

Its good in small amounts. Besides you have to have time to look at it once in awhile.

I have heard tales of the red clay. sounds like alot of work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home