Saturday, May 31, 2008

Matchbooks

So tonight I finally went through a huge bag of matchbooks that have been on a closet shelf since we moved here. Lots and lots from bars/dance clubs from the "single" days. And bunches from restaurants/hotels/vacations. I even have a few from funeral homes - how morbid is that?!

It was quite fun to spend a little time going down memory lane.... dinner dates, vacations, nights out on the town.... but, with age comes forgetfulness. I really had to think hard to remember a lot of places and drew a complete blank on more than I care to admit.

The wedding matchbooks I have really struck me, though (no pun intended). As I read the couples' names, I realized that maybe half or more are no longer together. How sad.

Let's see who's lasted and for how long so far:

1969
X Sue (family) & Ken

1979
X Anna & Rob (family friends)

1984
AnnMarie (high school friend) & Carlo

1985
? Sharon (work associate) & Pat
X Leslie & John (boyfriend's friend)

1986
X Dina & Rich (boyfriend's friend)
Susan & Bobby (boyfriend's family)
Phyllis & Ed (boyfriend's friend) ... sadly, Phyllis passed away two years later
Amy (family) & Keith
? Joanne & Tom (boyfriend's friend)

1987
X Lisa (college friend) & Keith

1988
Karen (family) & Kevin

1989
me & hubby
Sylvia (high school friend) & Lawrence
Kari (college friend) & Tim

1990
X Pam (high school friend) & Frank

1991
X Susan (college friend) & Donald

1992
X Laurene & John (husband's family)
X Cathy (high school friend) & Gary
? Stephanie (work associate) & David



The tally: 9 divorced, 7 married, 3 don't know, 1 death

Not the very best statistics.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home