Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day - Georgia sytle

As a kid, I always participated in the local Memorial Day parade. First, as a Brownie, then with Girl Scouts, and then with the high school marching band. And for years, we went to my aunt and uncle's house for a picnic. So much fun!

Now, we have a quiet day. I usually get a lot of stuff done around the house that I just don't seem to otherwise.

Three years ago, I dragged my husband, on his birthday no less, to the Confederate Cemetary.

Yesterday, hubby suggested we go to the Marietta National Cemetary. This is where union soldiers are buried as a result of the huge Kennesaw Mountain Battle. I guess he figured I waited long enough to go.

Hubby took a few pictures with the digital, but hasn't e-mailed to me yet. Don't know how they came out, but will post if there are any good ones.

We missed the ceremony they had for veterans of Pearl Harbor, but we were able to listen to some of the veterans talk afterward. There was a boy scout troop there for the ceremony, and the men just loved having an attentive audience in these young boys.

I suspect that may be the same troop that placed an American flag at every gravestone for Memorial Day. It was truly a remarkable sight.

2 Comments:

At May 27, 2008 8:38 AM, Blogger Yvonne said...

Ok, I just read your post about the fence on my google reader, and when I came here to comment, it was gone! Anyway, I'm with you - these women need to get a life! If you're worried about someone pulling in to the cul de sac - teach your kids not to play in the street! Dont ya just hate people that have nothing better to do than to find something to complain about?

 
At May 29, 2008 6:22 AM, Blogger BikeMom said...

Ahhh - that great Memorial Parade. We must have marched in that one together as brownies! I will have to dig out some old pics and scan them in. Maybe I will find time to do that today. We always joke about blinking and missing that parade - but, it is still something the whole town comes together for. I see you are doing a lot of relaxing - good for you! Can you send some of the peaceful vibes my way?????

 

Post a Comment

<< Home