Saturday, December 03, 2005

I don't understand

I received some very sad news. Devastating news. And I can't even begin to understand. My friend's sister died by her own hand. She hung herself. And now I sit here staring at those three words staring back at me on the screen. I am shocked, sad, and, dare I admit, slightly angry all rolled up in one. I did not, of course, know everything about her life. But, does anyone really know everything about someone? I did not know if there was something causing excrutiating pain or unbearable depression, or some other burden that she felt could not be resolved. What could be so bad to make a person feel so desperate that they take their own life -- and leave a husband and two small children behind?

My friend, understandably, is beside herself. She feels personally responsible, as if her sistersly bond should have detected it and been able to stop it. I am unable to console her, nor is anyone else. Her grief is heavy, as she looks into two pair of wondering eyes. They don't understand where their mother is. They don't understand the weeping, the overwhelming sadness in the house. My friend wonders how they are going to explain to those two precious children that their mother is gone. She wonders how they are going to grow up without their mother's love and support and encouragement. She's feeling such terrible guilt.

No, I don't understand.

2 Comments:

At December 04, 2005 6:28 AM, Blogger BikeMom said...

Sorry about this news. That is just terrible. It is bad enough when someone is sick or had a accidental death - this type of cause just adds another level of sadness and hurt to the circumstance.

 
At December 07, 2005 1:35 AM, Blogger Beeeetle said...

Hi..
I dont think we are supposed to understand. Everybody sees the mystery of life and where they fit in differently, and everybody values existence differently.
Nothing and no one can make your friend feel less responsible.
Its the same as depression, as self harming.
I was involved with someone for years who suffered from depression, who self harmed. it didnt make sense, and it didnt have to, i realised I didnt have to understand it. I just had to accept thats their reality, but it isnt mine.
my condolences

 

Post a Comment

<< Home