Sunday, May 29, 2005

This is a vent. It's gonna be pretty harsh. Don't worry, I won't be offended if you decide to skip this post. I'd rather you do instead of being affected by the negative vibe. Ha, I knew it, I've peaked your curiosity, haven't I?! I'm going to put it in letter form. It's what I'd like to say every Memorial Day to a certain person....

My dear FIL,

Tomorrow morning, you will call like clockwork to wish us a Happy Memorial Day. You will be oblivious, AGAIN, that your son's birthday was two days earlier. You never remember and we know, quite frankly, you don't care. Something we would never dare do to you, however, because you'd be highly offended -- not hurt -- because you demand the attention. I'd love to call you on this. I'd love to say something, such as, "Aren't you even going to wish your oldest son a belated happy birthday??" But, I must respect my husband's wishes and keep it all in. Something he has done all these years. I am not accustomed to this, however. Not speaking my piece was a whole new experience. Come to think of it, becoming part of your family was a whole new experience. You see, I come from a world of love and laughter and close family ties. A world you belong to, too, but for some reason choose not to be a part of. What is it that you are so afraid of? Are you that insecure with your own feelings? I have come to the sad conclusion that you are an empty shell of a human being. You have no idea how hurt and disappointed your son will be on this, another forgotten birthday. He will not say it, but I will see it in his eyes and watch it in everything he does the rest of the day. He'll carry a heavy heart when his hope will be shattered yet again. His hope that your expectant phone call will, this time, carry that birthday wish -- a simple sign that you remember a very special day in your life, the arrival of your first-born son into your world.

I was taught to respect my elders, but you make it very difficult to do in this instance. You are selfish and cruel and live in your own fantasy world. Your sons love you, and I understand why, but at the same time, I do not. I do know you don't deserve it. I am thankful my husband is not like you in this regard. He is a great guy, with a great sense of humor, and thoughtful and kind and strong and smart. He has many friends that would help any time of day or night, and he would do the same for them. I suppose I should thank you, but for what I don't know, because you certainly didn't teach him respect, loyalty, friendship, love, integrity. He has a wonderful, caring heart and soul in spite of you. No, I don't care for you very much, yet I do, as I have a heart and soul, too. Maybe it's partly pity; I'm not sure. You have an incredible family, and you don't try at all to be a part of it. Your inaction hurts those that love you deeply. I can't wish the same on you, because you are incapable of feeling the hurt anyway. Or maybe you are. Maybe you are more sad than any of us will ever know. In any event, after all these years, nothing you do - or don't do - surprises me. You manage to hurt the one I'm closest to, and I can't do a damn thing about it. Don't worry, this is a rare instance where I give you any thought. You really aren't worth the time. Besides, you think of yourself 24/7, so you won't notice if I don't.

2 Comments:

At May 30, 2005 8:14 PM, Blogger J C said...

Maybe, as a note of encourgement to you, there is an old Indian saying that goes," "Let me not criticize another until I have
walked a mile in his moccasins."

We can never know what is in the mind of another. Happy Birthday to your fellow!

 
At May 30, 2005 10:54 PM, Blogger BikeMom said...

Ahhhhh - doesn't it feel good to get that out?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home