Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Community Support

This is a tough one. I'm not exactly sure I know how I feel on this one. Maybe blogging about it will help me sort through some feelings. Maybe not. Maybe all it will do is confuse me more. We'll see.
Here goes.....

My doorbell rang about 20 minutes ago. As a general rule, I do not answer it when I am home alone. But then there was a very LOUD knock on my door. Pretty obnoxious, if you ask me. My t.v. was on, and I thought they must see it through the window. Then I caught a glimpse of a boy holding a large envelope, so I figured he was selling something. I try to make a point of supporting the neighborhood kids when they have fundraisers, so I answered the door.

The boy, about 11 years old, with a speech impediment caused by a hearing disability I think, asked if I would support his older brother, a wrestler, who is going to South Carolina. The rest was unclear, but I assume he'll be there to compete in the sport. He held an 8x10 framed picture of his brother. He also handed me a typed letter, which I only skimmed and should have taken the time to read. At the bottom was the family's name and address.

Okay, here's where my problem lies. The family is from the town next to mine. Why are they in my neighborhood? First, that means he isn't even in our school system. Maybe that shouldn't matter, so okay, on to the next problem. I am accustomed to parents and kids collectively doing a fundraiser by selling, say, baked goods outside a grocery store. In this instance, the school may be coming up short on funds, so the team turns to their community for additional support, and I am at least getting a little something in appreciation for my donation to their cause. But, I question why I'm supposed to help this family send their child anywhere, whether it be a school function or a personal endeavor. I pay my share of taxes for children to get a good education and a chance to participate in all the extracurricular activities provided by the school. Shouldn't it be the family's obligation to support their own child beyond that? Why am I, and other members of the community, looked upon to finance them -- especially in a blatant solicitation such as this?

Obviously there are differing viewpoints on this subject. It is fresh on my mind, and I thought it would make a good blog.

By the way, in case you're wondering ... yes, I'm embarrassed to admit, I gave the kid a couple of bucks. I'm not terribly enthused with the idea, but it's done and over with. The parents are pretty darn clever sending their younger son, with a disability, to the door.... I'll give them that! I was a sucker this time around, but if there is a next time (meaning, if I even open the door again), I don't think I'll be so inclined to hand over cash.

Well, I guess I know how I feel. Gotta love this blogging thing!

1 Comments:

At May 26, 2005 9:34 PM, Blogger Bobbi said...

nope... I won't get suckered in again. Once is all it takes!

I don't know when I became so vulnerable... I had to be the worst skeptic of all, once upon a time...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home