Saturday, May 21, 2005

There's a commercial out there for everyone

Commercials don’t usually affect me the way intended. Meaning, I don’t usually want to go out and buy the product after seeing a commercial. I view most commercials seen on t.v. as pretty moronic, insulting peoples' intelligence. That, or I just plain don't get them... so I guess in that instance, they're over my head.

Every once in a while, I find a redeeming commercial that invokes thought or, more importantly, good old fashioned laughter. Sometimes, even boisterous from-the-gut laughter. That is rare, however.

If I think long and hard, I could probably remember some past commercials that entertained me, making me laugh. One would be Taco Bell promoting the Godzilla movie using a Chihuahua. That little dog cracked me and my husband up. "Here leezard, leezard." (Okay, use your imagination here.) But, it never made us run out and eat Taco Bell.

Then there's the classic m&m commercials introducing the blue m&m. Particularly, the ones with John Lovitt. (i.e., his smartalic retort, "That was a brilliant idea.") Now, we were m&m consumers beforehand, so I can't say that commercial influenced us either.

But, a recent commercial has me almost signing up for the product. It is a woman sitting on her couch talking to the audience about Netflix. As the commercial progresses, so does the chaos of her family in the background, off camera. Kids screaming, phone ringing, husband yelling for her to answer it. At this point, her voice rises and she yells, "Mommy's doing a t.v. commercial." With that, she turns back to the camera with a pleasant smile. I crack up every time.

Now that, coupled with the same tired movies being shown on HBO and Cinemax, has me ready to pull up their website and order DVDs straight to my mailbox.

What commercials strike you as clever, funny, wacky, or otherwise?

1 Comments:

At May 22, 2005 9:03 PM, Blogger Christopher said...

I have taken a sabatical from the box. I gave my TV away before I moved a year ago, figured I needed time to think. Plus I know myself, tv is to easy to turn on, I might never go out and meet new people.

But as Luck would have it. I have seen that comercial at My moms house! I like it, so true to life.

Funny My mom always invites me for dinner on the night survivors on so we can have dinner and watch TV. Funny mom. Kinda cool

 

Post a Comment

<< Home