Sunday, May 29, 2005

My friend recently stirred up childhood memories of Memorial Day. The town held a Memorial Day parade every year. It consisted of a couple fire companies, town clubs, the school band and, of course, the town political figures (which weren't many, I can assure you).

But, when I first read her e-mail mentioning the old parades, I honestly couldn't remember much about them. A later, bigger parade came to mind, with its week-long carnival that followed. Funny, though, as the day progressed today, I remembered more and more about those days so long ago...

I remember leading off that small-town parade as a Brownie one year. I would have been terrified to do such a thing, marching by myself in the front of the parade, but my uncle was driving the old fire engine behind me, so I wasn't alone. (thank goodness he didn't mistake the brake for the gas!)

I also remembered the nice ceremony at the end of the parade in front of the town hall. Each year, two participants would carry a wreath and place it in front of the town hall as a token for our fallen heroes.

Then I even remembered setting my flute aside one year and foregoing marching with the school band, in order to march with the 4-H club. OMG, am I even admitting to this?? I carried one of the other member's pet rabbits. It was a big hit with the spectators...

BUT, and I couldn't believe I forgot all about this next thing. I remembered my aunt and uncle held a picnic every Memorial Day for a number of years. How could I forget that? It was one of my most absolute favorite times of the year!!!! There was a huge field with rolling hills and a pond behind their house. We would have a softball game back there, throw frisbees, and fish at the pond. Not to mention, swimming in their pool. And the FOOD! Non-stop all day and into the evening!

Wow. I can't believe I'm forgetting this type of stuff. Why? Have I been away that long? Recently, this friend posted about falling back in time when returning home for visits. I'm very familiar with that syndrome. It would happen to me all the time and would confuse the heck out of me - although easily understood since NOTHING changes in that town, or my parent's house. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one to experience it, though.

Anyway, maybe it's good I'm not looking back at past experiences as much anymore. Maybe it means I won't feel like a 14-year old when I go home? .....Or is that such a bad thing?!

3 Comments:

At May 30, 2005 10:53 PM, Blogger BikeMom said...

What kind of a wierdo friend is that???????? LOL

Did you march in the SS parade? You didn't have your own town parade did you? I don't think so - since I think that the V.... FD marched in that one - unless I am getting confused with the summer parades. So, now I am trying to figure out if there is a V.... town house... been away toooooo long!
How wierd - if you marched in that one that means we marched in the same parade! Ha Ha - I have some goofy parade pictures - but, unable to post them!!!

 
At May 31, 2005 2:16 AM, Blogger Christopher said...

Bobby,

You sure are living up to blogs name. I have laughed, shared your frustrations and sometimes felt your pain. Not sure why I wanted to tell you that ( I am never sure of half the things I write,I just write what I feel). well anyways I have enjoyed the Journey you have shared with me this far. thanks

 
At May 31, 2005 6:29 AM, Blogger Bobbi said...

Babynteens: V has nothing of its own... they always march with SS on Memorial Day (my mother marched with the auxiliary yesterday)... and in later years, we raced to PR so I could march with the F&D corps.

Chris: ditto

 

Post a Comment

<< Home