Thursday, June 26, 2008

Jury Duty

I received a jury summons 1 1/2 years after moving here. I reported for four days, sitting 2 1/2 of them in a voir dire process for a murder case, but they picked the jury before getting to me.

We hit the four-year mark this month, and hubby received his first jury summons here. He reported Monday and was sent home at noon. He reported Tuesday and was sent home at noon. He had to call at 11:00am on Wednesday to find out if he had to report that afternoon. At 11am, the message told his "panel" to call back at noon. At noon, it told his "panel" to call back at 3:00 to find out if they have to report back on Monday, June 30. What? It goes into next week?!

I did not realize it, but his summons states this will last "typically one week," leaving it wide open to extend into the next week. Wow.

We have work being done at our house June 30/July 1. It's been scheduled for two months, and he knows not to even dare ask me to take off work and stay home for it. Anyway, he had to obtain a letter from the company to prove they will be performing the work and bring it to the courthouse at 1:00pm today. He showed up, not realizing that he would have to stay this afternoon and go through the voir dire process for an upcoming trial, since he can't make it in on Monday. At 5:00pm he called to tell me they did not excuse him, and he must report back Monday, July 7, for final jury selection.

His stomach is in knots. And, after he told me a little bit about what the case is about, I can understand why. I will not mention it here, as I do not want individuals I do not know googling about it (on the slight chance they get a hit). But, let me know if you are curious and, if I know who you are, I'll tell you...

1 Comments:

At June 30, 2008 7:18 AM, Blogger BikeMom said...

Stinks! I reported for Jury duty on the 16th of June. I sat there while they questioned us for over an hour and finally they picked the jury and let me go home!!!! Yeah!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home