Tuesday, January 31, 2006

pics [4] and [5]

This is the church in my hometown. My father used to tell us stories about the jobs he had there as a kid. One job was to sit up on the alter during the service and crank a huge handle in order for the organ to play. He was very happy when he got his older brother's job and got to be in the basement (out of the limelight) and shovel coal for the fire that heated the church!

Interesting fact: this church is on the cover of a Blue Oyster Cult album. NO JOKE. I would have been facing into the sun if I tried to take the pic at the same angle as the one on the cover, but can you tell it's the same?...... (for some reason I think Bumbling Bav will especially get a kick out of this piece of trivia!) Oh, I also know not everyone has heard of BOC ... and I'm dating myself. LOL












And what's a pic of the church without the town's cemetery? lol
With every visit home, I stop at the following graves: my grandparents (father's side), my best (growing up) friend's father, and another friend's father, oldest brother and youngest brother.
It bothers me that the cemetery road goes right over those graves (the names/dates on those stones are facing the road)! They are dated in the early 1800's and there obviously wasn't a road there originally.

3 Comments:

At February 01, 2006 9:36 PM, Blogger BikeMom said...

Gosh this church looks familiar - is this the one on Route 123? On the way to Andrea's old house - I guess near IM Elementary??

 
At February 01, 2006 9:37 PM, Blogger BikeMom said...

I meant MP Elementary.

 
At February 01, 2006 10:19 PM, Blogger Bobbi said...

It is on 123. I know you passed it coming to my house from SS. If you turn right there onto the side road, you can get to Andrea's old house. But, I would have thought you'd turn off of 123 way before that. It would have been a shorter distance to drive.

Oh! I know! There is a church by MP, but it is a different one. I bet you turned down that road and remember a church on that corner. (It's white, though)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home