Saturday, November 10, 2007

Identity

My husband's name is very common. I, on the other hand, grew up with a very uncommon name. I remember having a conversation with him about not really having an identity. I asked him if it bothered him knowing there are others out there with the same first and last name as him. He said "no" and I couldn't understand that. He elaborated and said, "There is only one of me." Totally befitting him. Only he would think like that.

I was reminded of that conversation today. My doorbell rang and, before I could get to the door, they knocked. Geez, give a person a chance will ya? Oops, that's not the point...

The mailman was at my door with a certified, return-receipt-requested letter addressed to me. What the ?? Who could this be from?

I open it up and it's from Atlanta Properties. At first I'm thinking it's junk mail, but they spent $6.00 on postage so I quickly realized it's not junk.

As I read the letter, I realize they've got the wrong person. Here's where my fears of having such a common name come in to play. Mistaken identity!! I believe they did a search and came up with my name and address. This letter advises me I have until December 23 to claim my property (some lot in Atlanta) or it will go into foreclosure.

So, what do I do? I don't think I can ignore this. They'll have my signature that I received this. Is that enough for them to say I acknowledge this is my property? Will I end up with some type of financial mark with this foreclosure?

Or would it be worse to respond with a certified letter that they've got the wrong person? As there is no phone number or contact name. Just a P.O. Box address -- which I find really weird. If I respond, I may become a mark.

Hubby comes home tomorrow night, so we'll have to discuss what to do. Poor hubby, because I'll bring up - again - the whole paranoia of having such a common name.

P.S. I hyphenated my name ... not because I'm some women's libber ... but precisely to keep my identity distinct. So, I suppose I can prove the unhyphenated version is not me.

2 Comments:

At November 12, 2007 8:27 PM, Blogger BikeMom said...

I had no idea your name is hyphenated. Did you do that after moving to GA? - it is a southern thingie - I have heard.

 
At November 12, 2007 9:24 PM, Blogger Bobbi said...

It's always been hyphenated.

See how much you can learn through a blog?!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home