Sunday, September 09, 2007

Greeting from New York .... again!

Back in NY for another weekend. This time, I went to the Rockland County Fireman's parade (yesterday). I miss this stuff. The tradition, the respect paid to the volunteer firemen, the music (pipes & drums, brass, fifes & drums), the small towns nestled along the Hudson.

It was fun, but it was hot and humid. I tried to drink enough water, but still felt exhausted.

I'm sorry to say, I failed to bring my camera. I'm not sure what other parts of the country do, if anything, when it comes to their volunteer fire departments. Some towns hold a week-long carnival. It was just a lot of fun as a kid getting to hang out at the carnival all night because it was safe and everyone knew everyone. Then, when older, marching in the parades either with a band or organization.

There is nothing like that in Atlanta. Too big of a city for such things! Plus, the fire depts. are not volunteers!

Hubby is actually in CT right now. It was an unexpected trip back home for him to say good-bye to a very good friend who passed from a heart attach while mountain biking. He was only 43. We will miss him very much.

1 Comments:

At September 13, 2007 1:49 AM, Blogger Pamela said...

love the kilts and pipes.
our local (paid) firefighters have a pipe & drum band

 

Post a Comment

<< Home