Saturday, April 08, 2006

Tornadoes

The siren woke us at around 3am. I turned on the t.v. to learn we had a tornado warning until 4:30am. Right after I caught the warning, the power went out. So, we grabbed a radio, lit some candles, and waited.

We had strong winds and heavy rain, but that's about it in our area. We went back to sleep and woke up twice to the house shaking, but that was due to really fierce thunder.

Part of our fence was damaged, but I can hardly complain when I see the huge trees that crashed through peoples' homes. Four tornadoes have been confirmed (two of them in our county) ... and there is a possibility that more tornado touchdowns will be confirmed. While they've "only" been categorized F0 and F1, the damage is still devastating.

It's funny, I don't remember hearing about tornadoes being prevalent in Georgia .... but, apparently, they are. Honestly, I may have thought twice about moving here, had I known. We had a tornado touch down so close to my house in Indiana that, had I been looking out my front window instead of the back window, I would have seen the funnel. So, clearly, I would not have wanted to move to another location where tornadoes make their mark --- or I would have at least insisted we buy a house with a basement.

3 Comments:

At April 09, 2006 11:27 PM, Blogger Christopher said...

Wow! That is not a good way to wake up in the middle of the night.

I am glad you are alright.

 
At April 12, 2006 11:40 AM, Blogger Spider Girl said...

Yikes---I hope I never meet a tornado. And I'm glad there wasn't much damage to your property.

Where I live there are no tornadoes, but we're on a major earthquake fault. It seems no matter where you live there's always the possibility of Nature causing havoc.

 
At April 12, 2006 12:52 PM, Blogger Bobbi said...

Yes, that's one thing that I recognize ... no matter where you live, there's a chance of a natural disaster ... earthquake, tornado, hurricane ... nature making sure we know who's really boss!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home