Monday, July 03, 2006

All weekend I've had thoughts racing through my mind. Great topics for blogging. Some funny, some serious. But for the life of me, I can't remember a one! Isn't that always the way?!

Hubby and I were going to do some furniture shopping today. We were on the road when I received a call on my cell phone from the vet. We had two separate sets of blood tests done on our dog last week, and the vet asked that we bring her in to check her blood again to see if the medication she is on is helping.

This dog is costing us a small fortune at the moment. So far they have ruled out any tick-related diseases, and her liver and kidneys check out fine. I hear about family dogs being poisoned for one reason or another, and I must admit the thought of some sadist doing that to our dog did cross my mind. But, signs are pointing to an auto-immune disease ... her own body is attacking her healthy red blood cells. Today her platelet count is on the rise. The vet prescribed two more medications and baby aspirin, making the total now at: 3 meds, prednisone and aspirin. --- one pill once a day before a meal, two pills twice a day with meals, one pill twice a day after meals, 1/2 a pill every other day, and 1/4 baby aspirin every other day. How, I ask, am I to cut this baby aspirin into quarters?! Oh, and can you guess who is steering clear of the pill giving duties?? Yes... hubby! lol

We'll go back out tomorrow to shop for furniture We are specifically looking for an entertainment unit to house our new t.v. in the family room. Although, any savings earmarked for the entertainment center realistically should go toward the vet bills!

This is life, and it's really a small price. Friends and family members are going through so many hardships, my pet issue does not compare. My aunt is showing early signs of dementia, her sister underwent a mastectomy last week, our friend's sister died suddenly a couple days ago - at the age of 47 - from an infection (as a result of medical malpractice), my friend's wife has 6 more months of chemo and radiation - it will be two years total when she's done this time (yes, she was in remission for 3 years), I can go on and on.

Okay, that was depressing. Why on earth did I have to go on that tangent? Just keeping things in perspective for myself, I guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home