Sunday, December 10, 2006

The Nutcracker

I've been going to see The Nutcracker for as long as I can remember. Not every year, but here and there throughout the years. I feel fortunate to have seen varying renditions from ballets in different states.

Last night we saw The Nutcracker at the Fox Theater in Atlanta, GA. It was good. The only disappointment? .... and it's a big one .... they performed to a piped-in recording. When I bought the tickets, the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra was billed with the ballet. But, I do remember reading an article in the paper not too long ago that they might not perform. I do not remember the particulars... but I think the theater is having financial difficulty and could not support both the orchestra and the ballet company.

When we approached the entrance to the theater, there were a few people picketing in protest of the symphony's glaring absence. I did feel slightly guilty sitting in the audience, because I come from a musical influence/background (..... I grew up very involved in different musical groups).

It was the first time I've gone to the ballet without live music. It was good, but did lack that certain ambiance.

On another note... we are decorating our tree today. And I hope to get the cards written out and addressed and in the mail tomorrow (late for me). The nativity scene went up yesterday:

1 Comments:

At December 10, 2006 3:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful Nativity Set! I have seen the Nutcracker only once - the Joffrey ballet and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. It was very good! I have a CD and just love the music.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home